Thursday 16 February 2012

Julia ,Julie and Me....

Meryl Streep is a fabulous actor, who can deny that. Having said that and gotten that out of the way, I can now write my blog.
Last night I was watching , with my husband, one of her most endearing portrayal of a lady Julia Child. Now Julia lived in mid 40s and ended up writing a cook book which is now in some 45th re-print. The movie, is the story of Julie, who is living a mediocre life, her house above a pizzeria in Queens. She gets inspired by the life of Julia and takes upon herself a challenge to cook over 500 recipes from Julia's book in 365 days. What connects with me in this film, is how much I relate with both the women. (Julie & Julia is a 2009 American comedy-drama film written and directed by Nora Ephron)

All of the billions of people on this planet earth, we all want to leave a mark. Our worst fear , some where is to live a mediocre life and die without some much a leaving a foot print in the sands of time. We may follow various paths of career, relationships, wealth, power, spirituality, military, all in the hope, that some where we made some difference in someones life. That we mattered.

I was miserable as I watched the film, so much of me up there on the screen. I flogged my self, for not being as happy go lucky and dedicated as Julia, not diligent as Julie. I may not be writing a cookery book, but since I was very little, I knew, I am a writer. I am siting on a book for two years now, wondering how to get it published. I started writing my blog and yet this month , has been dismal. I wonder how come I never keep dead lines for my self. My father's voice keeps echoing in my head " you have no discipline", " thought are just thoughts  unless backed by action", the more I listen to these voices inside me, the less I'm motivated and more despondent I get. Last night after watching the film I realised several things. One, it can take years to finish a book conceived out of love, the gestation period maybe different for different books, you just have to keep at it. Second I realised, all it takes is one right person to come across your labour of love , it may mean one interview or one friend who believe in what you are doing, and doors will open for you to take it to the world. Third and most importantly, I realised, I am truly married to a wonderful man. He may not be an ambassador or a saint, but he is patient, he is creative and he believes in what I'm doing.

Sometimes, I wish, I was doing something as tangible as a love story or a cook book, that comes easy to me, yet writing about meta-physics, its hard, only because its an on going process, you learn something new everyday. You are a student every moment till you die. As you teach, you continue to learn. The movie told me, you are not writing an encyclopedia. Its alright to trust someone out there will appreciate the love and hard work that's gone into it. I can keep adding volumes to it later , as my journey keeps unfolding, for now, I just need the courage to post the manuscript.And as a dialogue in the film goes 

Paul Child: [after telling Julia that she should be on television, & she laughs] I'm not kidding you; I'm not. Someone is going to publish your book. Someone is going to read your book, and realise what you've done. Because YOUR BOOK is amazing. YOUR BOOK is a work of genius. YOUR BOOK is going to change the world.

Thank you Julie, thank you Julia....

No comments:

Post a Comment