Thursday 10 November 2011

To Dadu...with love....

I've never known my grandparents. They passed away either before I was born, and one when I was very young. This happen when you're the youngest child of one of the youngest of a large pack. I always felt a void. I so wanted to experience the love of a grandparent. I was envious of my friends who had a granny. The granny would pamper them, slip them the extra buck and even scold the parents for being so harsh with the children. They had someone to run to and complain about parents, above all they had someone who loved them unconditionally and thought they were the best no matter what. I felt a big void in my life...

1999 August, I had just come to Mumbai, the city of my dreams. Nothing could wipe the smile off my face. I was studying advertising in St. Xavier's and already dating a classmate. I remember it was janamashtami ( the birthday of Lord Krishna) Since I share my birthday with Lord Krishna, I always found this festival very personal and special. My "boy friend" took me home. It was very sweet as we had just met, but he knew I didn't want to be alone on a festival. I dressed up in a Saree. Dadu came out. She was a beautiful, very dynamic woman. She had been the wife of a freedom fighter and after his demise raised her son and his daughter from his first marriage single handedly. She loved dressing up and never left the house without her make up.

meeting Dadu was like a reunion of souls. She looked at my wrist, I was not donning bangles so she went to her room, returned with a thick bangle ( kada) her son had recently gifted her and put it on my wrist. She hugged me and said " don't worry, you will marry ( my grandson), you will be my bahu ( daughter-in-law)" i was taken aback. my boy friend had not proposed to me, yet that is what happened. I got married to her grandson. 

One day she came up to me and asked, what was the nick name he had given me, I told her , well he calls me "baby", she smiled and said fine so I'll call you "baby" too....

My favorite memory of her is, one day my mother -in- law had to leave early for work, so she asked me to cook that day, prepare the lunch, I was glad to. A few hours before lunch time I went into the kitchen  to only see everything was cooked and ready, Dadu came in and held my hand and said " my baby will not cook". I felt so pampered, so loved that day. I knew I finally had my granny I had waited for since my childhood.

Dadu passed away a few years ago, thankfully not their to see her favorite grandson and my divorce. Till the very end she wore her beautiful sarees, her lipstick and read her novels. I missed her so much. This Diwali she came home to me. I desperately wanted a picture of hers , and this year my son came back from his grandparents house carrying her photograph for me.... i know she's up there watching me, loving me and I will always be her " baby"....I love you dadu.... rest in peace


1 comment:

  1. Oh so sweet passage... this is the perfect dessert ... WANT more so want to read more .... very delectable piece ... the strength in the delicate relationship is quite eloquent...:)

    ReplyDelete